Forests provide many benefits to people. These are known as ecosystem services. In Nazaré Paulista, some services associated with local forests include sequestration of CO2 from the atmosphere (mitigating the greenhouse effect), prevention of sedimentation in the reservoir and erosion control.
For example, public authorities will be better prepared to mitigate deforestation if they know the quantity of soil (and the consequent economic benefits) that forests prevent from being washed into rivers or behind dams. Moreover, when the quantity of atmospheric CO2 sequestered by a forest is known, it is possible to re-forest areas to offset greenhouse gases emissions and mitigating climate change.
We thus develop ways to spread the responsibility for forest conservation among those who benefit from their services.
PhD. Eduardo Humberto Ditt
PhD. Alexandre Uezu
Laura de Biasi
MsC. Oscar Sarcinelli
Roberto de Lara Haddad
MsC. Rafael Eduardo Chiodi
Renan A. Kamimura
- FUNBIO/GIZ: Fundo Brasileiro para Biodiversidade
- FEHIDRO: Fundo Estadual dos Recursos Hídricos
- USAID – United States Agency for International Development
- IFS – International Foundation for Science
- Russel E. Train Education for Nature Program/ WWF
- Whitley Fund for Nature
- FNMA – Fundo Nacional de Meio Ambiente
- Alcoa Foundation